I went for a walk this afternoon. It was a nice sunny but cool day here.
Here are some rows of houses:
One of the houses in this row had the caribou hides drying outside and today I noticed another one of the houses had the hides drying on the ground. When I reached the end of this row I saw a qamutik (sled) and spoke to a woman sitting on her deck. Her daughter later came and asked me if I wanted to buy a hanging. She had a couple of red ones that she had not finished so I said that I would check before I left.
All of these houses are built off the ground.
The next row had this house as well as others:
Nice looking house but no landscaping and no trees here. Notice the space under the house.
On the other side of town I saw this colourful row of houses:
And this is what the rear of these houses look like:
There are some very nice government buildings and schools here so next time
Mr Justice Sharkey (a former class mate) is going to be presiding in court tomorrow and will swear me in. We were down at the beach collecting rocks when he arrived.
We met with defence counsel tonight and went over the files. We will see how it goes tomorrow.
I saw the room that is used as the Court room. It is in the Lodge and it has prints all around the walls except the windowed walls that look out to the lake. I saw at least one of Simon Tookoome's prints (the person I purchased one from the other day). I was told that he will be one of the elders in Court tomorrow. Justice Sharkey said that he had a jury trial here lately and they had court in the arena. I saw it today too as it was the Terry Fox run today and all the kids went to the arena for drinks and cookies.
I never knew the houses there were built up on pilings. I think of the cold winds blowing under the floors, but I guess they would actually be insulated by snow (as well as the usual insulation).
ReplyDelete