Sunday, September 19, 2010

September 19, 2010 Iqaluit

We finished Court on Thursday, September 16, 2010. We were up early on Friday to catch our flight to Rankin Inlet. We had a number of hours in Rankin Inlet. It was humid and poured with rain at one point. By the time we landed in Iqaluit I had every lawyers' nightmare - laryngitis.W


We finished our cases as scheduled Wednesday. I saw one of the elders from court, Lucy, sitting at the bottom of some steps cleaning a caribou hide. I asked if I could take her photo and here it is:
The tool she has in her hand for scraping the hide is called an ulu. Kadla, the court worker asked for some of the fat she had removed and ate it. I declined.
After dark we went back to the Lodge and played crib. While there a dealer from Montreal (originally from Hungary) popped his head in to see if any of us could change a $100 bill as he was waiting for some carvers to sell him carvings. One of the RCMP officers stopped by as he wanted a DNA warrant signed by the judge and played a hand of crib while waiting. 
Friday we left Baker Lake and took a photo of the Inukshuk at the airport that has a sign that indicates that Baker Lake is the geographical centre of Canada.


Friday we had a few hours in Rankin Inlet so took more photos. Jordon Tootoo of the Predators has a nice sign at the beginning of the Hamlet:

Rankin Inlet has its own Inukshuk that looks out to Hudson Bay. Not sure if I included it earlier but here it is again


At the end of Court I did ask to take a photo of the Court. I am going to go back to the blog about the court and post it there.



No comments:

Post a Comment